Cleansing is the first and possibly the most underrated step in our skincare routine. You could be using the most effective or expensive serum or cream BUT if you are not cleansing properly – the residual dirt or makeup could be preventing the rest of your routine from working effectively or not at all.
We all know how to wash our face. But here are some expert tips and secrets to cleanse effectively.
TYPES OF CLEANSERS
You may have heard of the term DOUBLE CLEANSING. It involves using an oil based cleanser first – to remove makeup and dirt , followed by a water based cleanser.
It is very important to use the correct type of cleanser according to your skin type.
Micellar: dry/sensitive skin – make sure to rinse with water afterwards
Gel: oily/combo skin – my favourite type
Foam: oily/combo skin – May dry your skin out
Cream– dry/sensitive skin
Oil– most skin types – very good at removing makeup
- Tie up your hair, or keep it away from your face- to make sure that you wash properly up to the hairline.
- Wash your hands well before washing your face.
- Wet your face with warm or cool water. Hot water is a no no. Hot water can be harsh for sensitive skin and skin prone to pigmentation.
- Use gentle massage to apply the cleanser all over the face and neck. Do not neglect your neck. It is one of the first places to show any signs of aging.
- Do not leave your cleanser on your skin for longer than 60 seconds. Leaving it on your face for an extended period of time will not result in cleaner skin but will actually damage your skin barier.
- Wipe your face with a clean cloth or tissue. This step is often underestimated. Do not use the towel that you use for drying the rest of your body to wipe your face. This will prevent breakouts. I like using facial tissues on my face to dry it. A face towel used only for this purpose is a also a good idea.
- Do not rub your face harshly with your chosen towel or face cloth. Pat your tissue or towel gently on your face to dry it.
- Use toner on a cotton pad to remove excess dirt and makeup. Most people feel that applying toner is an unnecessary step. I personally see a positive difference when I use a toner. The trick is to apply it on a cotton pad and then gently sweep the pad across your face and neck. You will actually see the residual dirt left on the cotton pad.
- If you have dehydrated or dry skin- do not dry your face with a tissue or cloth. Apply your toner to your wet or damp face. This may help the products that you apply next to penetrate deeper. It may also help to lock in moisture especially if you are using a product with hylaronic acid next.
- Don’t forget to exfoliate at least once or twice a week. Exfoliating is essential for removing a build up of dead skin cells. This is vital for preventing dull looking skin
Morning: I use a gel cleanser only. my favourites include Cosrx Low Ph Cleanser and Nirvana Natural Bliss,
Evening: I double cleanse with a cleansing balm -> followed by a gel cleanser. this is effective in removing makeup as explained above. some of my favourites include : Banila Clean it Zero Cleansing Balm, The Body Shop Chamomile Cleansing oil.